Does Ella Fitzgerald drive people to buy bread?
I'm having a strange sense of deja-vu sitting in Nabalom Bakery: they're playing the same Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong CD -- and that same song "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm" -- that I listened to ad nauseum while slinging baked goods at Breadsmith in Madison one summer ('95? '96? I got the job by telling them that, yes, I was considering dropping out of college to sell bread in Madison, so this wouldn't just be a summer job). The same CD... over and over... "the snow is snowing"... the smell of yeast... where the hell am I?!?
Labels: SJB on SJB
2 Comments:
What did you tell them when you quit just before the start of the fall semester? (I'll bet they stopped playing the Ella Fitzgerald for fear that it was driving their workers back to school.)
That if I so much as saw another loaf of peasant bread I wouldn't be able to "weather the storm," as it were.
Post a Comment
<< Home