Friday, February 17, 2006

The Rain in Spain... oh, enough already

OK, I promise I'll return to non-Spain-related topics soon, but I just have to gripe about something. Why do American journalists insist on rehashing the same old tired refrains when they write anything that even remotely has to do with Spain?

Example A
Washington Post article kindly forwarded to me by dl004d: "Gains in Spain"
This article is about cutting-edge Spanish architecture, so why must it belabor an old saying that no one uses anymore? Do people ever say "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain?" Do we really need that much help pronouncing our "ai" words? It's time to retire all the variations on this one.

Example B
New York Times article: "Investors Are Tilting Toward Windmills"
OK, this one doesn't bother me quite as much because it doesn't have anything to do with Spain, and it deals with some of Bush's "sounds good when read off the teleprompter" ideas about renewable energy. Still, there are other things that happen in Don Quijote that could be mined for metaphors. It's a long book.

Example C
The last paragraph in this old article on Flakmag: "The fame in Spain falls mainly on the plane..."
I mean, who comes up with this stuff? Oh wait. I wrote that one. Anyway, my point is that it's time to lay the overused Spanish refrains to an eternal sleep. They're not cute anymore, and I'm the first to admit it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but the last to use it?

2/17/06, 2:21 PM  
Blogger SJB said...

Not the last, by any stretch -- that article is from 1999, my friend.

2/17/06, 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home