Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Spain, Day 1: SJB y Kumar en Barcelona

BARCELONA, Spain -- I was welcomed to El Prat airport this morning by a whistling throng of protesters, protesting something I couldn't quite discern, as well as a reporter from Spanish Television who wanted to know why the wait through customs was so long. Unfortunately, I fulfilled only one of her two qualifications: I spoke Spanish, but I'd gone through customs in the relatively serene Amsterdam airport, avoiding the hullabaloo in Barcelona.

Now, as I jetlaggedly reaquaint myself with the city, I have a few observations:
  • Apparently the soccer star Ronaldo is losing his hair, because he's on billboards for a hair replacement treatment system.
  • Dunkin' Donuts is called Dunkin' Coffee. As I will not eat there, I will not be able to confirm or deny the availability of donuts.
  • The new Harold and Kumar movie has been translated as "Dos colgaos muy fumaos: fuga de Guantánamo," which I would translate back to English as something like: "Two Really Stoned Stoners: Escape from Guantanamo." I will not be seeing this movie.
  • Food report (aka B-smack shout-out): lunch of grilled monkfish with clams and a glass of cava, plus a euro's worth of figs, all found at the Boquería, a marketplace off the Ramblas.
More to come...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoopee! A first day report! I'm amazed and impressed.

7/9/08, 5:02 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

In America, you're allowed to go into a Dunkin Donuts and leave without ordering any food. Are the rules different for Dunkin Coffee? (A name, I might add, that doesn't make ANY sense.)

Just go in and tell us if they serve donuts. What's the dig deal? I know someone who always checks out the McDonald's whenever she travels, but never buys anything.

7/11/08, 11:48 AM  
Blogger SJB said...

It's the principle. I'm not opposed to going into a Pans & Company, or a VIPS (both Spanish chains), but when in Spain I enjoy avoiding the hoards of tourists flocking to McDonald's and Dunkin' Coffee (and Starbucks for that matter).

But maybe for you, Josh, I'll see if they sell donuts.

7/11/08, 8:20 PM  
Blogger Grand Marnier said...

"someone," eh Josh? Isn't that someone Mrs. Josh?

7/11/08, 9:39 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Isn't it easier -- for the dozens of readers of this blog who don't even know who I am -- to say "I know someone who"?

And, yes, it's Mrs. Josh. I highly recommend checking out McDonald'ses in foreign countries. Even Canada where, yes, they sell poutine.

I think I'd go to an American chain in a foreign country to get a soda. Not sure I ever have. Does that make me a bad person?

7/15/08, 2:43 PM  
Blogger SJB said...

No, not in the slightest. I'm just persnickety that way.

"Dozens of readers," eh? Scratch the "s" and you've got it!

7/16/08, 3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home