Diagnosis: Senioritis
The scene: a student wrapping up a 25-minute discussion of his final paper, due in one week
Where: Seated around a seminar table, in a classroom on campus
When: 5 minutes before the end of class on the Monday of the last week of classes
Who: a notorious senior, witnessed by five classmates and the professor
[Translated from the original Spanish by SJB]
Profa SJB: And, by the way, "fall in love" is English usage. It's "enamorarse" in Spanish.
student: Oh, really? "Caer enamorado" is all over my paper.
Profa: Right. So you should fix it before you turn it in.
student: Really? But it's already finished!
Profa: No, actually, it's not. That's why we've been doing this workshop. I highly recommend that you edit your paper taking into account what we've talked about in class today.
student: But there's so much to do this week... there's the Senior Cocktail party!
Where: Seated around a seminar table, in a classroom on campus
When: 5 minutes before the end of class on the Monday of the last week of classes
Who: a notorious senior, witnessed by five classmates and the professor
[Translated from the original Spanish by SJB]
Profa SJB: And, by the way, "fall in love" is English usage. It's "enamorarse" in Spanish.
student: Oh, really? "Caer enamorado" is all over my paper.
Profa: Right. So you should fix it before you turn it in.
student: Really? But it's already finished!
Profa: No, actually, it's not. That's why we've been doing this workshop. I highly recommend that you edit your paper taking into account what we've talked about in class today.
student: But there's so much to do this week... there's the Senior Cocktail party!
Labels: Profa, School daze
5 Comments:
I sympathize with the senior. I feel like my entire committee has been saying: "I highly recommend that you edit your second chapter taking into account what we've talked about today" for the last week. I just want to go to the senior cocktail party!
How hard is it to do a find-and-replace on "caer enamorado?" It'll take three minutes.
In the student's defense, it is hard to avoid "falling in love" with senior cocktail parties.
In his own defense, he just came by to drop off his edited paper and apologize for trying to fight the establishment this morning. And I quote: "Voy a tratar de ser más cool..."
Sadly, I'm now the establishment.
Let me tell you, the student is lying. I don't remember a damn thing about my senior week,* and I turned out fine.
* hopefully, there are no photos around, either
Post a Comment
<< Home