Thursday, April 13, 2006

The things I'm doing when I should be working

When I actually get down to the business of writing my dissertation, which is currently in its final stages (for those of you keeping score at home), I need lots of distraction. After every paragraph, I'm off surfing the Internet, reading blogs, watching random YouTube videos, you name it. Here are a few of my latest distractions:

5ives - These are hilarious and wierd lists of 5 things. You could read them for days...

Quakes! - Sometimes I'm sitting at my desk when I feel the earth move and I think: Was that an earthquake? Now that I've found this site, I can immediately check and usually confirm -- yes, that was an earthquake, centered in Walnut Creek and a measely 2.6 on the Richter scale. Back to work.

WERN - The Bay Area has a seriously sucky classical music station that plays top 40 Beethoven hits and then interrupts them every 5 minutes for 10 minutes of inane commercials (not even regular commercials -- they're always ads for diamond rings and timeshare condos). Madison, on the other hand, has a great classical music and NPR station, and now that I've finally figured out how to listen to it over the Internet, I'll be writing with a lovely soundtrack punctuated by weather reports from Wausau, Osseo and Superior.

Michellepedia - This woman who writes the Online Shopper column for the New York Times sometimes has crazy tips about hemming jeans or how to get her kids into college, and the stuff that doesn't fit in her column she puts in her blog. Hit or miss, but for some reason I keep reading it.

TV without Pity - First I read what all the nerds on the blog are saying about the latest "How I Met Your Mother" episode; then I delve into the Josh and Donna "West Wing" thread; then I read the snarky summary of the latest episode of "The O.C." (beats actually watching it); then it's an hour later and I really need to get back to work on my dissertation...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home