Sunday, November 16, 2008

Xmas letters: Yea or Nay?

I'm considering whether or not to include a Christmas letter in this year's annual mailing of holiday greeting cards. The Christmas letter, considered a staple of the Midwestern Xmas card *, has fallen out of favor with some members of my generation, who consider it woefully unhip, especially if it is written in the voice of the family dog or baby. Around the SJB family homestead, it is my Dad who writes the annual Xmas letter, and, if a recent conversation with a cousin is to be believed, he has come to dominate the form. Should I even compete? What do you think?

Are Christmas letters cool or way uncool?
Cool.
Only cool if they're making fun of the genre.
Uncool if written in the voice of a baby or a dog.
Way uncool.
Meh, I can take 'em or leave 'em.
pollcode.com free polls


* Accompanied by a family photo, often following one of two forms: 1) just the kids and a pet, so it's not self-evident who sent you the card; or 2) ridiculously huge families with more kids than Justices of the Supreme Court. (In one of my favorite examples, all 10 of the boys were dressed as football players and the lone girl was dressed as a cheerleader. And when I say "my favorite" I mean "the most gut-churningly awful")

4 Comments:

Blogger SJB said...

It appears the Yays have it! I will write an Xmas letter in the voice of a dog imitating a baby lampooning the form.

11/19/08, 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously, 11 kids?!

12/1/08, 9:35 PM  
Blogger SJB said...

That's a card SKBK's Mom gets every year -- and it's either 9 or 11.

12/2/08, 10:35 AM  
Blogger SJB said...

Oh wait, no, that's a card my sister-in-law got once. But SKBK's Mom does get cards from a similarly large family...

12/2/08, 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home