Adiós, '93 Honda
Apparently your clutch was loose, but I didn't notice, just like I didn't care that you only played tapes, because where else was I going to listen to all those mix tapes my friends made me in high school and college? Once your fuel gauge dropped below a quarter of a tank it was completely unreliable, but when it comes to testing an almost-empty tank I'm as conservative as Dick Cheney, so that didn't really bother me. You had a half-moon scratch in your windshield because one of my wiper blades got misaligned and I didn't notice for months because I didn't wash you very often, but that just gave you character, like a funky tattoo. You sported a John Kerry bumper sticker until you got stolen and the bastards who stole you ripped it off and also left their shoes and Subway wrappers in the back seat. So when you were recovered a few hours later with only a busted ignition I put a KALX sticker on you. You got me to Oregon and L.A. and Wisconsin and strange little towns in Nebraska and up the steep hills of San Francisco and through the jutted back roads of Point Reyes and Solon Springs.
You were a pillar among cars. You will be missed.
3 Comments:
oh no! Did it die? Did you sell it instead of moving it back east?
It was a dark and dreary day when I said goodbye to my '84 Honda Prelude halfway through senior year in high school, so I can totally relate to the attachments formed with cars.
No, it's still alive and kicking. I sold it.
Don't forget it's original trip to the east bay from Wisconsin during which the driver's side window refused to go up on a very windy day in the Badlands. I certainly appreciated the cassette player in that car, especially when I drove back to Wisconsin in my Aunt's car which only had a radio.
Post a Comment
<< Home