Expand your Netflix queue!
I asked the librarians at Amherst if I could fill out the College's Spanish movie collection, since I'll be teaching film courses and incorporating film into my literature and culture courses.
I don't know how many of these they're going to be able to buy, but I've had an enjoyable time putting together a wish list of 33 movies from the last 80 years, minus the Pedro Almodóvar-ish favorites the College already owns.
So, here they are, in no particular order.
Perhaps someone in my blogosphere is interested in expanding their knowledge of Spanish film? Or thinks I've left something out? Then again, maybe this is more of my Hispanofile propaganda? At any rate, let me know if you want a recommendation -- there's something for everyone here... (P.S. I haven't seen all of these, but I've seen most of 'em)
1. “La pelota vasca” (2003) dir. Julio Medem
2. “Obaba” (2005) dir. Montxo Armendáriz
3. “El lobo” (2004), dir. Miguel Courtois
4. “El Calentito” (2005), dir. Chus Gutiérrez
5. “El viaje de Carol” (2002), dir. Imanol Uribe
6. “El espinazo del diablo” (2001) dir. Guillermo del Toro
7. “El laberinto del Fauno” (2006) dir. Guillermo del Toro
8. “El bola” (2000), dir. Achero Manas
9. “Te doy mis ojos” (2005), dir. Icíar Bollaín
10. “Días contados” (1994), dir. Imanol Uribe
11. “Vacas” (1992) dir. Julio Medem
12. “Abre los ojos” (1997) dir. Alejandro Amenábar **NOT** the Tom Cruise version
13. “La ardilla roja” (1993), dir. Julio Medem
14. “Beltenebros” (1991), dir. Pilar Miró
15. “La niña de tus ojos” (1998), dir. Fernando Trueba
16. “Flores del otro mundo” (1999) dir. Icíar Bollaín
17. “¡Bienvenido, Mr. Marshall!” (1953), dir. Luis García Berlanga
18. “El corazon del bosque” (1978), dir. Manuel Gutierrez Aragon
19. “El día de la bestia” (1995), dir. Alex de la Iglesia
20. “Tierra sin pan,” (1930), dir. Luis Buñuel
21. “La plaza del diamante” (1981), dir. Francesc Betriu
22. “Volver a empezar” (1981), dir. José Luis Garci
23. “Yerma” (1998), dir. Pilar Tavora
24. “Muerte de un ciclista” (1955) dir. Juan Antonio Bardem
25. “Un chien andalou” (1925) dir. Luis Buñuel
26. “Tierra y libertad” (1995), dir. Ken Loach
27. “Si te dicen que caí” (1989) dir. Vicente Aranda
28. “Volver” (2006) dir. Pedro Almodóvar
29. “Las bicicletas son para el verano” (1983) dir. Jaime Chávarri
30. “Mar adentro” (2004) dir. Alejandro Amenábar
31. “Lucía y el sexo” (2001) dir. Julio Medem
32. “¡Hay motivo!” (2004) various directors
33. “Raza” (1941) dir. José Luis Sáenz de Heredia
I don't know how many of these they're going to be able to buy, but I've had an enjoyable time putting together a wish list of 33 movies from the last 80 years, minus the Pedro Almodóvar-ish favorites the College already owns.
So, here they are, in no particular order.
Perhaps someone in my blogosphere is interested in expanding their knowledge of Spanish film? Or thinks I've left something out? Then again, maybe this is more of my Hispanofile propaganda? At any rate, let me know if you want a recommendation -- there's something for everyone here... (P.S. I haven't seen all of these, but I've seen most of 'em)
1. “La pelota vasca” (2003) dir. Julio Medem
2. “Obaba” (2005) dir. Montxo Armendáriz
3. “El lobo” (2004), dir. Miguel Courtois
4. “El Calentito” (2005), dir. Chus Gutiérrez
5. “El viaje de Carol” (2002), dir. Imanol Uribe
6. “El espinazo del diablo” (2001) dir. Guillermo del Toro
7. “El laberinto del Fauno” (2006) dir. Guillermo del Toro
8. “El bola” (2000), dir. Achero Manas
9. “Te doy mis ojos” (2005), dir. Icíar Bollaín
10. “Días contados” (1994), dir. Imanol Uribe
11. “Vacas” (1992) dir. Julio Medem
12. “Abre los ojos” (1997) dir. Alejandro Amenábar **NOT** the Tom Cruise version
13. “La ardilla roja” (1993), dir. Julio Medem
14. “Beltenebros” (1991), dir. Pilar Miró
15. “La niña de tus ojos” (1998), dir. Fernando Trueba
16. “Flores del otro mundo” (1999) dir. Icíar Bollaín
17. “¡Bienvenido, Mr. Marshall!” (1953), dir. Luis García Berlanga
18. “El corazon del bosque” (1978), dir. Manuel Gutierrez Aragon
19. “El día de la bestia” (1995), dir. Alex de la Iglesia
20. “Tierra sin pan,” (1930), dir. Luis Buñuel
21. “La plaza del diamante” (1981), dir. Francesc Betriu
22. “Volver a empezar” (1981), dir. José Luis Garci
23. “Yerma” (1998), dir. Pilar Tavora
24. “Muerte de un ciclista” (1955) dir. Juan Antonio Bardem
25. “Un chien andalou” (1925) dir. Luis Buñuel
26. “Tierra y libertad” (1995), dir. Ken Loach
27. “Si te dicen que caí” (1989) dir. Vicente Aranda
28. “Volver” (2006) dir. Pedro Almodóvar
29. “Las bicicletas son para el verano” (1983) dir. Jaime Chávarri
30. “Mar adentro” (2004) dir. Alejandro Amenábar
31. “Lucía y el sexo” (2001) dir. Julio Medem
32. “¡Hay motivo!” (2004) various directors
33. “Raza” (1941) dir. José Luis Sáenz de Heredia
4 Comments:
I am un CHIEN Andalusien, I am un CHIEN Andalusien!
Also did you mean to put "¡Bienvenido Mr. Marshall!" on the list twice?
Oops, no. I fixed that.
Are you really going to make your students watch Abre los Ojos? That movie freaked me out for weeks. You don't want to traumatize young minds...
These are just movies I might make them watch. I'm not sure what theme "Abre los ojos" could fall under: films with hunky Spanish actors playing psychopaths? The blurring of reality/fantasy? Movies in which there seems to be ample parking on streets in Madrid where in actually cars have to literally park on top of one another to fit? Yet to be determined.
Post a Comment
<< Home