Thursday, March 29, 2007

An Afternoon in Xanadu

I eschewed Cancún and South Padre Island this year1 in favor of eating my way around the Bay and being a resident tourist for Spring Break 2007. Yesterday, I went gallery crawling in San Francisco, which I've been meaning to do.

49 Geary houses a ton of different galleries and antiquarian booksellers. I was looking for interesting photographs, which I found. I also found that the cheapest ones were $500, and the most expensive ones were approximately the value of your first born child.


Xanadu Gallery is located at 140 Maiden Lane, which has the distinction of being the only Frank Lloyd Wright Building in San Francisco. The gallery houses mainly Native American and Asian American art, including a Buddhist wall hanging that incorporates the swastika design as a symbol of good fortune (much as the Navajos did). The building itself is a mini-NY MOMA, with a squat spiral staircase and a distinctive arched entryway. Worth visiting.

My last stop of the day, although not technically a gallery, is one of the distinctive art deco sites in San Francisco: the Fog City Diner. Excellent food, although I wish I hadn't mistaken that chunk of wasabi for avocado. Live and learn.

1 Actually, I think if you use words like "eschew" you may not be allowed into Cancún or South Padre Island during Spring Break.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger dl004d said...

Doesn't California have any Spring Break hot-spots of its own? Meanwhile, I've been to both Cancún and South Padre Island — neither place has any Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.

3/30/07, 8:29 AM  
Blogger SJB said...

Does it? Hmm, I guess you're right. Happily, none of these so-called hot-spots are in Northern CA.

This from a woman who used to spend her college Spring Breaks in Wisconsin. I'm pretty sure I was unaware of places where it was actually spring in March.

3/30/07, 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home