SJB v. USGS
I'm off to northern Wisconsin for a 10-day respite in Solon Springs, a swinging metropolis in Douglas County (which, I'm proud to note, was blue in a sea of red during the 2004 elections). I'll be on that spit of land you see in this aerial photo, which has no electricity or running water (we have a phone, but it's rotary, so no American Idol voting), so I'll amuse myself by washing my hair in the lake, picking ticks off Addie, reading, knitting and napping when the mood strikes, among other activities. Crownhart Island is my favorite place in the world. But why can't the US Geological Survey get the name right?
This, despite my 2001 campaign to correct the name on all future maps, which was unanimously passed by none other than the Douglas County Board of Supervisors (who even posted the minutes from that meeting here, should you want some bedtime reading). But, alas, I guess it takes a few decades for these things to work themselves out.Anyway, I'll return to the blog when I'm back on the grid. Happy June!
Labels: SJB on SJB
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home