A blog of one's own
Woolf's ethos about writing seems almost prescient:
So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say.How Woolf could have anticipated blogging, I cannot say, but she reminds me that sometimes the creative energy comes a'knocking when I don't sit down to write the great academic mindbender but rather when I fiddle around with a blog post, or an email, or an Evite. Writing is writing, after all.
But the matter at hand here is a book, and here's what Virginia tells me to do about that:
Thus when I ask you to write more books I am urging you to do what will be for your good and for the good of the world at large.A high calling, indeed, when you're talking about post-Franco Spanish literature, but I get the drift. The process and the end result will most certainly be beneficial to me... and my long-term career prospects.
A recent visit to the Emily Dickinson Museum makes it clear that women can write amazing things when they have the freedom and space in which to do it. But, unlike Emily, I intend to leave the house once in awhile, and I don't have a white dress.
Labels: words
3 Comments:
virginia did have the hogarth press
Lucky her. Maybe I should start the Orchard Street Peer-Reviewed Academic Press.
of course virginia had the house of peers
Post a Comment
<< Home