Friday, February 15, 2008

Bueno, bueno, bueno

What goes around really does come around: I'm teaching La familia de Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela in my Postwar Spain and the Novel course right now. I first read this book in Sr. Zintel's Spanish 5 class in high school, and remember being scandalized by the pig that eats little Mario's ears before he falls into a jug of olive oil, Lola and Pascual gettin' it on on Mario's grave, and Pascual shooting his dog in cold blood and later stalking and killing his mother, among other cheery moments.

I've read this book a couple of times since then, but it never fails to transport me right back to that second floor classroom of West High, where generations of necios would sing "Lola, la la la la Lola" (by the Kinks, although I didn't know that at the time) to Sr. Zintel's goofy-tied delight and mock-horror. SKBK (né SKB) and I would follow that up with a rousing round of the Police's "Sending out an Eso es," while dl004d and Leo countered with "Too legit, la tía Tula legit." Good times.

Anyway, now I get to be the one reveling in delight and mock-horror. Not a bad gig.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dl004d said...

This was a good book to read in a high school Spanish class — after all, what word comes up more in everyday life than "matricide"? (I guess what I'm saying is that I'd love to sit in on your class, but I'm afraid I wouldn't understand a word of the discussion.)

For the record, I received a "B" for my "Tia Tula Git" oral presentation.

2/15/08, 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember the details of that book but the credibility of your entire account is called into question after seeing that you somehow think that class took place on the second floor. For shame - it was the third floor.

2/15/08, 7:15 PM  
Blogger SJB said...

You're right: it was the 3rd floor, but I was thinking of the Ash St. entrance floor as the main floor, the location of my locker and therefore the center of my universe, thus the mistake.

And also: Who are you?

2/16/08, 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home