Fall 2007 by the Numbers
Weeks in the semester: 14
Courses taught: 2
Total students: 24
Individual classes taught: 61
Oral presentations: 31
Oral presentations in which the presenters threw candy at the class as a motivational tool: 1
Essays graded: 92
Essay re-writes graded: 31
Final papers yet-to-be graded: 24
Movies shown: 5
Video projects created by students: 3
Catalan folk songs played: 1
Inopportune moments the photocopier broke down: 2
Packed lunches I was organized enough to bring to campus: 0
Lunches at the faculty dining hall: 28
Lunches at the faculty dining hall in which all the food was named after Red Sox-related minutia: 1
Free lunches attained at the faculty dining hall through frequent diner card: 1.91
Appearances at the Spanish Table: 1
Faculty meetings attended: 2
Faculty meetings canceled: 3
Faculty meetings almost skipped to see Bruce Springsteen: 1
Clandestine visits the dog paid to my office: 3
Number of times tears were shed in my office: 3
Emails or meetings I had with students who had missed class but wanted to prove that they'd still done the reading: 2
Times this happened at Berkeley: 0
Students with perfect attendance: 4
Combined absences of everyone else: 54.5
Hawks spotted outside my building: 1
Percentage of time I biked, drove and walked to campus (approx.): 32%, 59%, 9%
Department scandals averted, generally speaking: 2
Times I locked myself out of my office after hours: 1
Buildings on campus I can reliably identify: 21 of 89
College sporting events attended: .5
Times I was almost beaned by a puck: 1

Courses taught: 2
Total students: 24
Individual classes taught: 61
Oral presentations: 31
Oral presentations in which the presenters threw candy at the class as a motivational tool: 1
Essays graded: 92
Essay re-writes graded: 31
Final papers yet-to-be graded: 24
Movies shown: 5
Video projects created by students: 3
Catalan folk songs played: 1
Inopportune moments the photocopier broke down: 2
Packed lunches I was organized enough to bring to campus: 0
Lunches at the faculty dining hall: 28
Lunches at the faculty dining hall in which all the food was named after Red Sox-related minutia: 1
Free lunches attained at the faculty dining hall through frequent diner card: 1.91
Appearances at the Spanish Table: 1
Faculty meetings attended: 2
Faculty meetings canceled: 3
Faculty meetings almost skipped to see Bruce Springsteen: 1
Clandestine visits the dog paid to my office: 3
Number of times tears were shed in my office: 3
Emails or meetings I had with students who had missed class but wanted to prove that they'd still done the reading: 2
Times this happened at Berkeley: 0
Students with perfect attendance: 4
Combined absences of everyone else: 54.5
Hawks spotted outside my building: 1
Percentage of time I biked, drove and walked to campus (approx.): 32%, 59%, 9%
Department scandals averted, generally speaking: 2
Times I locked myself out of my office after hours: 1
Buildings on campus I can reliably identify: 21 of 89
College sporting events attended: .5
Times I was almost beaned by a puck: 1
Labels: Amherst, Profa, School daze
11 Comments:
Professor, you're in New England now.
There's no such thing as "Red Sox minutia." It's all life-or-death. All of it.
Three visits by the dog, and tears shed three times. Did these incidents coincide?
1.91 free lunches?
2 scandals averted! How scandalous! Do tell!
Actually, I'd rather hear about the crying students.
Did it work? Did you give them extensions?
She never said it was the students who were crying. For one thing, it might have been the crusty old dean (played be me, you'll recall). But meanwhile, who says professors don't have feelings too?
You're all very clever.
Josh: Meh.
ed002d: Unrelated.
dl004d: Value of free lunch is $5.25; I got a $5.75 lunch.
gm: I cannot divulge that information.
Josh redux: No.
dl004d redux: Professors *do* have feelings, you're right. Saavy eye for detail.
If I had an office (dare to dream!), I'd be crying in it right now.
there are scandals in departments other than berkeley?! thank the good lord!
Well, they're not quite as scandalous as *those* scandals...
If you insist on talking about scandals, then you must *divulge* what said scandals were.
Post a Comment
<< Home