Acategorical Top Ten of 2007
10. Pappy Van Winkle's 20 year old bourbon -- An excellent bourbon, really takes you back to 1987. Of the bourbons, scotches and whiskeys I sampled this year, the best.
9. Something Borrowed -- My favorite of this year's How I Met Your Mother episodes, perhaps because of its surprise guests. Runner-up: The Platinum Rule.
8. Vernal Falls, Yosemite National Park -- Watch the stairs, they can get a little moist on this, the coolest hike I took this year.
7. Listen, Dammit! -- The best CD of the year is a limited-release CD compilation of the best music of the year, so it's enjoyably subjective and circular. Is it better than 2006's edition? I think it may be. "Wintering in Brooklyn" has been stuck in my head for three days.
6. Cheeseboard -- Some folk'll never eat a pizza with arugula on it, but then again some folk'll. Best pizza of 2007 you can eat while sitting on a median.
5. Tu rostro mañana: Fiebre y lanza -- This Javier Marías book, volume 1 of a three part series, was the best Spanish-language book I read this year. It's available in English as Your Face Tomorrow: Fever and Spear.
4. Black tea with sugar and milk -- No surprise here: my favorite caffeinated beverage holds steady at #4 for the 15th year in a row.
3. Tie: Knocked Up and Superbad -- Movies for which I had very low expectations that succeeded in entertaining me far beyond them.
2. Untitled [Act V, Scene III] -- This as-yet unperformed hidden gem of a one act play left theater enthusiasts chomping for an off-off-off-off-167 miles to the northwest-off-Broadway premiere.
1. Jon Stewart -- The SJBlog's Person of the Year, naturally. Honorable mention goes to Viktor Yushchenko, because I'm still impressed that he survived that poisoning, and Ira Glass, just because.
9. Something Borrowed -- My favorite of this year's How I Met Your Mother episodes, perhaps because of its surprise guests. Runner-up: The Platinum Rule.
8. Vernal Falls, Yosemite National Park -- Watch the stairs, they can get a little moist on this, the coolest hike I took this year.
7. Listen, Dammit! -- The best CD of the year is a limited-release CD compilation of the best music of the year, so it's enjoyably subjective and circular. Is it better than 2006's edition? I think it may be. "Wintering in Brooklyn" has been stuck in my head for three days.
6. Cheeseboard -- Some folk'll never eat a pizza with arugula on it, but then again some folk'll. Best pizza of 2007 you can eat while sitting on a median.
5. Tu rostro mañana: Fiebre y lanza -- This Javier Marías book, volume 1 of a three part series, was the best Spanish-language book I read this year. It's available in English as Your Face Tomorrow: Fever and Spear.
4. Black tea with sugar and milk -- No surprise here: my favorite caffeinated beverage holds steady at #4 for the 15th year in a row.
3. Tie: Knocked Up and Superbad -- Movies for which I had very low expectations that succeeded in entertaining me far beyond them.
2. Untitled [Act V, Scene III] -- This as-yet unperformed hidden gem of a one act play left theater enthusiasts chomping for an off-off-off-off-167 miles to the northwest-off-Broadway premiere.
1. Jon Stewart -- The SJBlog's Person of the Year, naturally. Honorable mention goes to Viktor Yushchenko, because I'm still impressed that he survived that poisoning, and Ira Glass, just because.
6 Comments:
I'm flattered and humbled to be considered better than Eric's bourbon or taste in music.
Thanks!
Not to take anything away from your joy, Josh, but since the list is acategorical, nothing is actually ranked above or below anything else.
Oh.
Then why is it numbered?
Well, 'cause it's a top ten. For your category, though, you can consider yourself #1.
Woo hoo!
But FYI, it's not exactly "Eric's" bourbon. It's Pappy's.
Post a Comment
<< Home