Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Macoun: A Review


Behold: the Macoun
The Pioneer Valley is currently awash in apples, and I have found my new local favorite: the Macoun. Having tried Romas, Empires, Jonagolds, Red Jonagolds, Fortunes, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Cortlands, Galas and Macouns at the Quonquont Farm in Whately, MA, the Macouns were standouts. Sweet, tart and crisp, they mimic a MacIntosh without the pretense. With a tight speckled skin that emerges from red-black to bask in moments of golden yellow, they resemble a dark starry night cut by a rising sun. A bite brings forth a satisfying crack, revealing pristine white flesh and complex flavor that makes you think: damn, this is a good apple.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger ed002d said...

I'd like to hear more about the pretense of a MacIntosh apple ...

10/15/07, 8:55 AM  
Blogger SJB said...

Any apple that has a computer named after it is, simply put, full of itself. I've always been a Mac fan, but the Macoun is like the heirloom Mac, not overbred until it's a tasteless orb.

10/15/07, 10:01 AM  
Blogger SKBK said...

I was going to ask that very question. Many thanks to ed002d for saving me the trouble.

10/15/07, 4:29 PM  
Blogger SJB said...

Well, it also sounded good. Are you both satisfied with my response?

10/15/07, 6:43 PM  
Blogger SKBK said...

Absolutely. I really had no idea where you were going to go with that, and yet, you went somewhere with that. Impressive.

10/16/07, 12:35 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

I'm also bitter at the Greek god, Mercury, for having the pretense to be named after over-sized coupes with lousy gas mileage.

10/17/07, 1:18 PM  
Blogger SJB said...

To avoid this sort of scandal, you'll notice in my clarification that it's the computer named after the apple, not the other way around.

You've been, ahem, 'Professored.'

10/17/07, 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home