Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My Chickens Have Hatched

As promised, the big news: beginning with the Fall 2007 semester, I'll be joining the faculty at Amherst College, as Assistant Professor of Spanish! The signed contract is being whisked Eastward by FedEx as we speak, I've begun to purchase more sweaters, and I've dusted off my dissertation in the interest of filing it in May. The long process of moving, blood-thickening and, oh yeah, starting down the road to tenure, can wait: for now, I've been indulging in counting my chickens, not knocking on wood, speaking in the indicative tense (instead of the subjunctive "If I were on the East Coast I would..."), not checking the job listings and my email every 15 seconds, not waiting for the phone to ring, and general merry-making in honor of my good fortune!

And, as promised, a visual tour of the last couple of weeks:


Here I am not paying any attention to LA traffic as I speak with the Amherst chair, with whom I'd been playing phone tag for a very agonizing six hours. He offered me the job, and then said many things that I found very difficult to remember... According to my friends, I just kept saying "great... great... great..."



Once I hung up the phone, the news begins to sink in...






And last night, after ten days of intense negotiations (ok, they weren't that intense, just nerve-wracking), here I am signing the contract, for those who need photographic proof (ahem, Dad).








So, to recap: two years, one interview suit, 2 trips to the MLA, 18 MLA interviews, 2 phone interviews, 6 flybacks, 5 teaching demos, 4 job talks, a gazillion hours fantasizing about life in Iowa, or Pennsylvania, or Vermont, or San Francisco, or Massachusetts, a gazillion and one hours fretting about what's next later and I've got a job!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoopee!!!!! Public congratulations!!

3/21/07, 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your face, Iowa.

Welcome to New England!

3/21/07, 2:39 PM  
Blogger Grand Marnier said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! The Pioneer Valley is dear to my heart--welcome to good ol' Western Mass!

3/21/07, 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo!

3/21/07, 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I'm gargantuonly excited for you. There's one small down-side in that you won't get to meet my cool uncles in Iowa (this wasn't a set-up, don't worry, they're gay), but we can make up for that by celebrating with champagne at lunch tomorrow. Musical Offerings has a liquor license, right?

3/21/07, 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home