Monday, February 26, 2007

AcademYawn Awards

There's nothing better than getting the beers and munchies going, chowing down on a couple of Cheeseboard pizzas and making snide comments en masse during a four-hour awards ceremony. But last night's Academy Awards were pretty lame, in my opinion: no big surprises and nothing all that great to make fun of. Sure, we had our annual moment of reverence for George Clooney, joined this year by a moment of reverence for Al Gore, who got a good laugh. And there was Celine Dion's ubiquitous presence to ridicule, an errant bow on Nicole Kidman, and Clint Eastwood pretending to do a simultaneous Italian translation, but c'mon! Where was the tacky see-through dress? The impassioned political rant, cut off by the orchestra? The upset win? The unexpectedly choked-up acceptance speech? The starlet who forgets to thank her husband? The old geezer who doesn't read off the cue cards? The look of utter disgust on the face of one of the losers? Where was, you know, the good stuff?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Grand Marnier said...

Yeah, I guess I agree that the actual awards part was pretty boring (this was the first year that I used TiVO to its full potential and fast forwarded through the boring acceptance speeches for Art Direction). However, I thought Ellen DeGeneres (who I like anyway) saved the show--fantastic when she was vacuuming underneath Penelope Cruz's dress.

I wish that I lived on the West Coast so I wouldn't have to stay up so damn late to see the last few awards.

2/26/07, 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Marnie. I thought Ellen did a great job, and therefore I enjoyed the Oscars. And, oh man, John Oliver's piece (on Monday's Daily Show) comparing Ellen's performance to Jon Stewart's in 2006 was priceless!

2/28/07, 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having watched them both, I feel confident saying the Oscars telecast was classier than the Grammys. But ultimately they both bored the hell out of me.

3/1/07, 5:13 PM  
Blogger dl004d said...

Some day I'll live in the Pacific Time Zone and watch the end of one of these things.

3/1/07, 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home