Monday, January 08, 2007

It's early January...

...and I have one more week before classes start and before the phone might start ringing again, and before I get an inch closer to knowing where I'll be next year. So, instead of working and waiting, what am I doing?
  • Instead of reading about the political upheaval in 18th and 19th century Spain, I am making a very involved Marinated Lamb Tajin from my new Regional African Cookbook.
  • Instead of getting ahead on my reading for this semester's class, I am erasing all the pencil marks out of the copy of "La deshumanización del arte" (Ortega y Gasset) that I got out of the library.
  • Instead of fine-tuning my job talk, I am listening to this kick-ass CD mix of the best rock/pop/etc. from 2006 I was given and feeling very cool, indeed.
  • Instead of looking at the evaluations my students from last semester wrote about me, I am running into one of my students from last summer in the citrus fruit aisle at the Berkeley Bowl and exchanging very pleasant pleasantries.
  • Instead of re-reading my dissertation, I am watching Spanish movies (see photo) and Spike Lee documentaries and Veronica Mars episodes.
  • Instead of starting one of those new Spanish novels I keep telling myself I should crack open, I am reading New Yorkers and The Secret Life of Bees and Amy Sedaris' warped hostess book.
  • Instead of reading the Bible (how many times have I told myself I should read the Bible?!?), I am hanging a framed copy of my grandmother's cherry pie recipe on my kitchen wall, and knitting a scarf, and hiking from my front door to Tilden Park with Addison, and throwing out old T-shirts that I love but are three sizes too big for me.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be reading the Bible! Next time you come over: Cool Shooters and scripture!

1/8/07, 9:30 PM  
Blogger Chameleon Man said...

Well, at least I'm not the only one who put off preparing for class. Though I wish I had a dissertation to read over or a job talk to fine tune. At least I've read the Bible*.

*Actually just the new testament. Who wants to read Deuteronomy?

1/11/07, 9:04 AM  
Blogger SJB said...

I'm so Bible-illiterate, I have no idea what you're talking about.

1/11/07, 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home