Saturday, September 09, 2006

Golden Bear in the Sky with Footballs



A small goal I have set for myself this year: learn the Cal Fight Song. (I'm a fan of marching bands, one, and pride myself on knowing my school songs from elementary school on up, two. Although, come to think of it, did Van Hise have a school song? I don't know that one.). And so here I sit, an hour away from the home opener (against the Minnesota Gophers! Rah!), for which I got free 'staff appreciation' tickets, playing the fight song on my computer over and over and trying to memorize the words. Here, you can do it, too! Listen to the song here.
Now, let's dissect the lyrics:
Our sturdy Golden Bear,
Is watching from the skies,
Looks down upon our colors fair,
And guards us from his lair.
Our banner Gold and Blue,
The symbol on it too,
Means FIGHT! for California.
For California through and through!

OK, I've got this stanza almost memorized, but I don't really understand this business about a bear watching us from the skies. Does that make any sense? At least the rest of it is self-explanatory: it just describes the Cal banner, and lord knows I've seen that plenty of times. I'm not doing as well with the second stanza:

Stalwarts girded for the fray,
Will strive for victory,
Their all at Mater's feet will lay,
That brain and brawn will win the day.
Our mighty sons and true
Will strive for us anew,
And PIVOT! for California,
For California through and through!

Pivot?!? I don't see too many people doing much pivoting these days. Also, there seem to be too many syllabus in the first verse, but that's just me being annoyingly literary, I guess. I'm not sure how many people actually sing this stanza, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. As long as I've got that first one down, I'm good to go!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya, but what's the tune to this? Ta-rah-rah-boom- dea is all I could think of!!! Does that go with pivoting?

9/9/06, 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home