Cheese: It's what's for dinner.

Front page story on this morning's New York Times: Wisconsin is losing the cheese race to California. By early next year, cheese experts forecast, California will lead Wisconsin in cheese production. Apparently, California's "Happy Cows" have been producing more milk than Wisconsin's "Stoic Cows" for a decade, but the cheese thing really smarts.
I just want to say this: I know I live in California, and yes, I even like California, this is true. But I wish no ill will toward Wisconsin's cows, dairy industry or stem-cell research facilities. In fact, I hold Wisconsin cheese, ice cream, milk, beer and stem cells very dear. I get a surprising amount of shit about this, and I just want to preemptively defend myself: it is not my fault that Calfornia produces more cheese than Wisconsin.
Labels: Vittles
2 Comments:
ok....I get the hint...no more bashing. The question is, is it just cheese or is it GOOD cheese? Happy cows don't necessarily produce delicious cheese....do they?
I think that the problem with the California vs. Wisconsin cheese debate isn't necessarily that the cows are happier, but that California is SO much larger as a state than Wisconsin. Thus they can have more cows, and can produce more milk/cheese/various other dairy products than Wisconsin.
Living in DC, David knows to buy me only Wisconsin cheese when possible. It just tastes better to me.
Post a Comment
<< Home