Addison carries her own weight around here
Last weekend, Pam and I hiked a beautiful trail in the Emigrant National Wilderness, in Stanislaus National Forest, just north of Yosemite. Yosemite doesn't allow dogs -- well, they do, but they have to stay in the car for the most part, and where's the fun in that? -- so we settled for the next best thing. The day before we left, I relented and joined REI (that's basically tangential to this story), and purchased dog panniers. That's right: saddlebags for the dog. This is how she looked:
I was sure she was going to buck and throw those suckers right off, but she was incredibly stoic about the whole thing, and showed very little discomfort. She was carrying a couple of bottles of water, the first-aid kit and some of our picnic lunch, and we took the panniers off when approaching a mud puddle (because Addison cannot resist mud puddles) or a lake (because I cannot resist lakes). The people we encountered on the trail were evenly divided when they saw Addison and her saddlebags. Half said: "Oh, how cute! She has her own bags!!" Half said: "That's not fair! She's doing all the work!!"
I don't know -- I felt a little guilty about the whole thing, because she was definitely carrying more than we were, but at the same time, she's had this 3-year free ride with me, so isn't it about time she contributed?
I was sure she was going to buck and throw those suckers right off, but she was incredibly stoic about the whole thing, and showed very little discomfort. She was carrying a couple of bottles of water, the first-aid kit and some of our picnic lunch, and we took the panniers off when approaching a mud puddle (because Addison cannot resist mud puddles) or a lake (because I cannot resist lakes). The people we encountered on the trail were evenly divided when they saw Addison and her saddlebags. Half said: "Oh, how cute! She has her own bags!!" Half said: "That's not fair! She's doing all the work!!"I don't know -- I felt a little guilty about the whole thing, because she was definitely carrying more than we were, but at the same time, she's had this 3-year free ride with me, so isn't it about time she contributed?
Labels: California, The pooch
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home